|By PR Newswire||
|November 2, 2012 04:29 PM EDT||
PHILADELPHIA, Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services continues to provide support to those affected by Hurricane Sandy in the greater Philadelphia region, including the Lehigh Valley and New Jersey. Working alongside the Office of Emergency Management and the American Red Cross, The Salvation Army is feeding thousands of evacuees and homeless individuals in numerous shelters across the region.
The Salvation Army in New Jersey has worked to serve those displaced by the hurricane in shelters within 10 of the 11 counties in New Jersey, where it served more than 12,500 meals during the height of the storm on Monday and Tuesday and more than 26,000 bottles of water for necessary hydration. In Atlantic County, where the hurricane hit with incredibly high intensity, The Salvation Army has provided three meals per day in addition to fresh clothing at a special medical needs emergency shelter. As a result of funding and donations from public supporters, The Salvation Army has also provided clothing and comfort items with the help of a Salvation Army emergency disaster canteen from Western Pennsylvania. Canteens serve as mobile feeding units to provide victims of emergency situations with food, water, blankets and other supplies.
In the greater Philadelphia region, The Salvation Army is actively aiding residents in eight shelters across Philadelphia, Chester, and Montgomery counties, with The Salvation Army Soup's On! Project solely responsible for providing meals at three shelters in center city Philadelphia. Additionally, 13 Salvation Army emergency disaster canteens are stocked and ready to be deployed throughout the region as needed.
In East Stroudsburg, The Salvation Army is working alongside the Office of Emergency Management and has served more than 300 meals in two shelter locations. In Bucks County, the Bristol Senior Shelter has accommodated more than 300 meals for evacuees. In Norristown, The Salvation Army has provided 100 meals per day at a shelter located at Norristown High School organized by the Red Cross. In Levittown, 200 people have been served breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. What's more, in the communities of Crabtree, Oaktree, Red Cedar, Indian Creek, Thorn Ridge, Farmbrook and others, The Salvation Army has delivered food to the elderly and shut-ins who are not able to leave their homes to access resources.
In the Lehigh Valley, The Salvation Army has served nearly 200 meals since Monday evening. Additionally, a Salvation Army day shelter has been established at The Salvation Army Corps Community Center at 1110 Northampton Street in Easton where an emergency disaster canteen is stocked and ready for deployment throughout the area as needed.
The Salvation Army works closely with local emergency management officials, fire departments and police departments to respond to incidents within the community. For updates on Hurricane Sandy efforts locally and throughout the country, please visit: http://Disaster.SalvationArmyUSA.org/.
Monetary donations are welcomed as supplies and personnel are mobilized. Donors are encouraged to give via the following region-specific channels:
- Philadelphia: Visit www.SalvationArmyPhiladelphia.org.
- New Jersey: www.SalvationArmyNJ.org
- Lehigh Valley: Please make your check payable to The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 147, Allentown, PA. Mark Emergency Disaster Services on the memo line.
- Mobile Giving: Text the word "SANDY" to 41444 to make a donation to The Salvation Army's hurricane disaster relief efforts in all regions through your mobile phone. You will be contacted to confirm your gift. Messaging and data rates may apply.
- Telephone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)
About The Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services:
Major disasters affect thousands of people as they occur each year throughout the country. Local disasters may not affect as many people, but are equally devastating for those involved. The Salvation Army is always on the scene because of its every-day presence in communities across the country. Because of the Army's proximity to the community and a constant awareness of the needs of people who live there, The Salvation Army is among those first on scene when the disaster strikes.
About The Salvation Army:
The Salvation Army is a faith-based, comprehensive human service organization whose programs help individuals, families and whole communities lead healthier, safer and more productive lives. The Salvation Army is equipped to respond to both acute disasters such as fires and floods as well as the daily, ongoing struggles of the region's less fortunate individuals. Since 1879, The Salvation Army has a record of success stemming from its holistic approach to providing for the needs of the whole individual – physically, emotionally, economically and spiritually. For more information, please visit www.SalvationArmyPhiladelphia.org.
The Salvation Army
SOURCE The Salvation Army
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1