|By PR Newswire||
|November 5, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
Virgin Mobile finds that as the weather gets cooler, Canadians are turning up the heat - sending steamy messages at work, church and even family reunions!
TORONTO, Nov. 5, 2012 /CNW/ - With the arrival of the crisp fall weather, Canadians can no longer rely on their bronzed beach bodies to catch a date's eye anymore. As Canadians use their smartphones to manage more and more of their relationships, proper "textiquette" is becoming an increasingly important dating skill.
According to a new Virgin Mobile Canada survey by Leger Marketing, there's something sexually APPealing about Facebook - 1 in 4 young Canadians say adding someone to Facebook is how they usually make the first move, ranking it the second most common way to connect with someone who is more than "just a friend." Overall, when connecting with a love interest or significant other, 62% of young Canadians say yes to text*, and 40% believe that texting has made their love life better.
How and when Canadians choose to connect can also mean different things to different people. More than half of Canadians thought a quick response to a text meant someone was very interested in them. However, 24% thought it looked desperate, making thinking before texting the key to a good text life.
"The facts are in! Whether it's sultry or sweet, daters love to have good text in their life," said Andrew Bridge, managing director, Virgin Mobile Canada. "Today, people are agonizing over what to type, not what to say. More than a third of Canadians first ask someone out via text and one-quarter of Canadians do it via Facebook. And, almost half of Canadians will send a text to their crush after a first date. How we date is changing as more and more people go mobile. Daters are just more comfortable making those first few moves with the right steamy text!"
Think twice next time you see your colleague smirking at their phone in a meeting. According to the survey, steam isn't restricted to the shower anymore. In fact, the number one place for sending steamy messages is at the office. And, shockingly, 30-34 year olds are the most likely group to send sexy textys while on the clock.
No matter where you're doing it, texting can have positive effects besides giving our thumbs super strength. Canadians surveyed most commonly said that texting makes them braver (45%) and flirtier (41%). Who knew texting was the new liquid courage?
How to give good text
Your English teacher was right - grammar does matter! The number one texting turnoff was bad spelling or grammar when texting
with potential dates so watch ur speling carfuly.
Young Canadians want a side of personality with that text. Don't be afraid to let the true you shine in those messages because
texts lacking personality ranked as one of the top texting turnoffs.
Slow to respond? You give flaccid text. Half of ladies surveyed shared that a slow response time will get you
nowhere because an immediate response to a text screams "very
interested." Men, just because the clocks fall behind this season,
doesn't mean you can. Throw out the "3 day rule" playbook and text your
lady back already!
- Poke! Poke! has officially replaced the Ring! Ring! 23% of Canadians who are dating LIKE to use Facebook to make the first move, while only 19% would consider calling a potential suitor. Time to update that Facebook profile!
What does your province say about your steamy phone habits?
Atlantic Canada deserves a big thumbs award. More than three quarters (78%) of Maritimers using text messaging to
keep in touch with a love interest or significant other.
Quebecers are the most patient. 23% thought that waiting a week to respond to a text was playing hard to
To Ontarians, texting is the new wingman! Half of Ontarians surveyed say that texting makes their love life
Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents are too sexy to be shy. When it comes to sending sexy messages, 42% of them admit to this steamy
B.C. the brave. British Columbia is home to some of the most fearless Canadians, and
we're not just talking on the slopes. More than half of west coasters
surveyed say they are braver via text.
- Don't expect an Albertan to kiss and tell. When asked how exciting their text life is compared to their sex life - one-fifth didn't know or preferred not to say.
Are you interested in learning more of the survey results? Check out this infographic for all the juicy details.
About Virgin Mobile Canada
Virgin Mobile Canada rewards, entertains and connects like no one else, delivering the super-hot phones on the blazing fast 4G network. Virgin Mobile Members also get benefits like exclusive VIP access and deals and award-winning service. 91% of Members would also recommend Virgin Mobile to a friend.
The Virgin Mobile group of companies has attracted more than 18 million customers worldwide. Virgin Mobile phones are available at more than 4,000 locations nationally including The Source, Virgin Mobile retail locations and additional retail partners. Virgin Mobile products can also be purchased online or by calling 1-855-238-6847. Get personal with Virgin Mobile Canada on Facebook and Twitter.
About the survey
The survey was completed online from August 30th to September 7th, 2012 using Leger Marketing's online panel, LegerWeb, with a sample of 1045 Canadians aged 18 to 34 who own a mobile phone. A probability sample of the same size would yield a margin of error of ±3.0%, 19 times out of 20.
*Text refers to all forms of text-based messaging, not including email.
SOURCE Virgin Mobile Canada
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1