|By PR.com Newswire||
|November 21, 2012 03:00 AM EST||
London, United Kingdom, November 21, 2012 --(PR.com)-- According to the latest survey conducted by Teqno-Logical.com among 1268 respondents that are 55 or older, 37.2% (472 respondents) of them own a smartphone, about 58.1% (736 respondents) have a feature phone, while 4.7% (60 respondents) don’t own any mobile device at all. 37% is quite a big number, so it’s a bit surprising and quite contrary to the stereotypical opinions about the older generation.
“In our society, 55+ adults are considered to be unaware of the trends in the world of technologies, but our research showed that this stereotype was wrong: 37% is quite a big number, and though it might be a bit different in other cities outside London, it still proves that not only young people are interested in smartphones and other modern gadgets,” said Amelia Hunter who conducted the survey. “On the other hand, we have found out that 55+ smartphone owners usually don’t use the features of their devices. Moreover, most of their phones were bought for them by other people.”
37.5% (177) of the 472 smartphone owners have chosen and bought their devices themselves, while the other 62.5% got their smartphones from their children or other relatives. Most of those are used phones – the respondents said they got the old phones of their children when those bought new and more advanced ones. 26.9% of the smartphones turned out to be running Android, 21.4% were iPhones,18.8% were Nokia’s Symbian phones,14.7% were Blackberries or other phones with QWERTY keyboards. 18.2% of respondents didn’t know / didn’t care what platform their phones ran.
So what smartphone features do 55+ people usually use? As one would have expected, nearly 68% of the respondents said they only make calls with their smartphones; more than 18% said they use texting from time to time, too, 9% said they surf the net, 4% admitted they liked taking photos with their smartphones, and only 1% used their phones for social networking.
It’s also interesting that, according to Teqno-Logical.com’s survey, most of 55+ smartphone owners in the UK aren’t interested in apps or don’t even know what apps are. Only 7% said they have ever downloaded an app, and only 3% of them have ever paid money for it.
As for feature phone owners, 78% of them said they liked their phones and didn’t want a smartphone. Almost all of them use their mobiles to make calls, and about 30% admitted they send text messages, too.
0208 936 3499
Contact via Email
Click here to read the full story: Teqno-Logical.com Survey: 37% of UK’s 55+ Adults Own a Smartphone
Press Release Distributed by PR.com
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1