|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 04:57 PM EST||
American Humane Association Offers Tips to Protect Youngsters While Making Visits Here and Abroad
WASHINGTON, Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- To help keep kids safe, healthy, and happy while traveling during the busy holiday season, American Humane Association, the 135-year-old charity dedicated to protecting children and animals, issued the following series of easy-to-follow tips:
- If you're traveling to a foreign country, be sure your children are properly vaccinated and up to date on their immunizations. Visit your pediatrician to discuss any special medical needs well in advance of travel. For overseas travel, it might be necessary to get supplementary travel medical insurance, as many insurance plans in the U.S. will not be applicable in a foreign country.
- The TSA has strict restrictions on the amount and type of medication allowed on flights. There are many nuanced restrictions and things parents traveling with children should know prior to their trip. Check the TSA website and prepare in advance for restrictions. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/what-expect-if-passenger-needs-medication.
- Cuts, colds and viruses don't take vacations. Pack children's dosage medicines, antiseptic wipes, anti-diarrheal and any necessary prescriptions. Be sure to bring your medical insurance card and 800-contact number in the event you need to locate a doctor.
- Pack appropriate clothing for the journey and the destination. Because of their smaller body mass, children are more susceptible to overheating and chilling than adults. Dress in layers of appropriate clothing. Children may feel uncomfortable on a flight wearing bulky clothes needed for their destination and vice versa.
- Prepare children about important cultural and other facts they should know, including fun information about customs and sights, as well as precautionary tips such as traffic flowing on the left side of the road in some countries, the name of the hotel in which they are staying, and who to contact in the event they are separated from you (U.S. Embassy, police, Travelers Aid).
- For young children, make sure to attach an emergency contact note to their clothing with phone numbers, home address, hotel address, and important information about the child (allergies, medical information, etc.) so that if the child wanders off, the family can easily and immediately be contacted.
- If the child is old enough, make sure they have important contact information memorized. For older children who have their own cellphones, be sure your number is on their contact list and vice versa. Cell phones may not work in foreign or remote destinations. Check with your cell phone provider about reliable coverage during your trip.
- Keep a recent photo of children on your cellphone or download the free iPhone app Lost Kidz to send out an "Amber Alert" to similar users nearby in the unlikely event children get lost or go missing.
- The biggest safety risk in flying with kids is germs. It's not the recirculated air, it's the stuff everyone else has touched. So wipe down everything – tray tables, armrests, remote controls, seatbelt buckles – before kids sit down on the plane. Keep a packet of wipes handy for after the bathroom, too.
- At airports and train stations, Travelers Aid is a helpful resource if you experience an emergency (such as finding a lost child) or need help or more information about navigating between airport gates and getting useful information about your arrival location (such as finding trustworthy cab/public transportation services). Check the Travelers Aid website to see if the airport or train station you are using has a Travelers Aid desk. www.travelersaid.org
- If you're flying with a baby, try to feed them (nurse or bottle) during takeoff and landing. Unlike us, they can't consciously yawn and swallow, so this gets their little ears popping and safely relieving pressure.
- Car accidents are still the leading cause of injuries and death. Make sure kids are buckled up in taxis and during transfers (people often fail to follow their own rules when they're on vacations), and be sure to bring along or rent an approved child seat for toddlers if you'll be renting a car.
- If you are on a cruise, do be extra careful with young children and keep them close at hand. Today's cruise ships are designed to be safe, but they are big and not every danger can be prevented.
Relax…and Be Safe:
- Hotels don't always have safety features like child-safety locks and other precautions. Choose a ground floor hotel room or a room without a balcony. Cords used to open and close drapes can form a strangulation hazard; tie them up out of the way. When with babies and toddlers, travel with a bag of plastic plug guards.
- Know the location and contact information for the US embassy in your foreign destination. Find out this information prior to your departure http://www.usembassy.gov/ In the event of an emergency such as a death, arrest, illness, injury, missing persons, victims of a crime and other emergency circumstances, contact the embassy immediately.
- Sanitation and water safety have improved dramatically around the world in the past few decades, but in a number of countries, bottled water may be the best option. Nothing ruins a vacation like a gastro-intestinal upset, and children are more susceptible to dehydration from such illnesses.
- If your destination or resort involves water sports (ocean, lake, pool) use the same common sense precautions you would at home, making sure children do not swim unsupervised. If traveling with a toddler, use extra caution around unfenced pools and other bodies of water.
- Remember those medicines you so carefully remembered to pack? Be sure to keep them and other potentially hazardous things (blow dryers, scissors, etc.) out of children's reach, as you would at home.
- See the sights everyone loves to see – and don't lose sight of those you love. Hold children's hands in crowds or let them walk in front of you so they stay in your sight.
- Problems can occur anywhere, but when traveling, use common sense in what you allow your children to wear and display, especially when traveling overseas where the standard of living may not be as high. Dress them modestly and don't let kids sport ostentatious clothing, jewelry or expensive electronics.
- Make your trip enjoyable, not a marathon. A voyage is about the journey as well as the destination. Kids may seem to have boundless energy, but they don't have the stamina of adults. Pace yourself and your ambitions so you can take the time, enjoy yourselves, and create an unforgettable experience for you and the children with whom you are traveling. It's about making memories.
"Traveling with children can be a wonderful, fulfilling experience that enriches the lives of the youngsters and adults alike," said American Humane Association's President and CEO Dr. Robin Ganzert. "The key is to prepare and pace yourself. In this way you may all stay safe and healthy as you experience the joys of travel."
About American Humane Association
American Humane Association is the country's first national humane organization and the only one dedicated to protecting both children and animals. Since 1877, American Humane Association has been at the forefront of virtually every major advance in protecting our most vulnerable from cruelty, abuse and neglect. Today we're also leading the way in understanding the human-animal bond and its role in therapy, medicine and society. American Humane Association reaches millions of people every day through groundbreaking research, education, training and services that span a wide network of organizations, agencies and businesses. You can help make a difference, too. Visit American Humane Association at www.americanhumane.org today.
SOURCE American Humane Association
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabilities include HD voice, video, multimedia messaging, mobility, conferencing, Web collaboration, deskt...
Mar. 29, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,427
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 28, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,518
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 28, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,763
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Mar. 28, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,170
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,798
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,440
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,326
SYS-CON Events announced today that Akana, formerly SOA Software, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Akana’s comprehensive suite of API Management, API Security, Integrated SOA Governance, and Cloud Integration solutions helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Things. Akana enables enterprises to share data as APIs, connect and integrate applications, drive part...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,510
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed expressly to run Docker. He will also discuss Rancher, an orchestration and service discovery platf...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,406
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Mar. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,149
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dr...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,760
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions, faster.
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,415
Cloud is not a commodity. And no matter what you call it, computing doesn’t come out of the sky. It comes from physical hardware inside brick and mortar facilities connected by hundreds of miles of networking cable. And no two clouds are built the same way. SoftLayer gives you the highest performing cloud infrastructure available. One platform that takes data centers around the world that are full of the widest range of cloud computing options, and then integrates and automates everything. Join SoftLayer on June 9 at 16th Cloud Expo to learn about IBM Cloud's SoftLayer platform, explore se...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,606
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the M2M space. This really allows some room for influential individuals to create more high value inter...
Mar. 28, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,629
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Mar. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,404
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
Mar. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,032
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Mar. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,375
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Mar. 28, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,190
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microservices, and more.
Mar. 28, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,020
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Mar. 28, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 629