|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 04:57 PM EST||
American Humane Association Offers Tips to Protect Youngsters While Making Visits Here and Abroad
WASHINGTON, Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- To help keep kids safe, healthy, and happy while traveling during the busy holiday season, American Humane Association, the 135-year-old charity dedicated to protecting children and animals, issued the following series of easy-to-follow tips:
- If you're traveling to a foreign country, be sure your children are properly vaccinated and up to date on their immunizations. Visit your pediatrician to discuss any special medical needs well in advance of travel. For overseas travel, it might be necessary to get supplementary travel medical insurance, as many insurance plans in the U.S. will not be applicable in a foreign country.
- The TSA has strict restrictions on the amount and type of medication allowed on flights. There are many nuanced restrictions and things parents traveling with children should know prior to their trip. Check the TSA website and prepare in advance for restrictions. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/what-expect-if-passenger-needs-medication.
- Cuts, colds and viruses don't take vacations. Pack children's dosage medicines, antiseptic wipes, anti-diarrheal and any necessary prescriptions. Be sure to bring your medical insurance card and 800-contact number in the event you need to locate a doctor.
- Pack appropriate clothing for the journey and the destination. Because of their smaller body mass, children are more susceptible to overheating and chilling than adults. Dress in layers of appropriate clothing. Children may feel uncomfortable on a flight wearing bulky clothes needed for their destination and vice versa.
- Prepare children about important cultural and other facts they should know, including fun information about customs and sights, as well as precautionary tips such as traffic flowing on the left side of the road in some countries, the name of the hotel in which they are staying, and who to contact in the event they are separated from you (U.S. Embassy, police, Travelers Aid).
- For young children, make sure to attach an emergency contact note to their clothing with phone numbers, home address, hotel address, and important information about the child (allergies, medical information, etc.) so that if the child wanders off, the family can easily and immediately be contacted.
- If the child is old enough, make sure they have important contact information memorized. For older children who have their own cellphones, be sure your number is on their contact list and vice versa. Cell phones may not work in foreign or remote destinations. Check with your cell phone provider about reliable coverage during your trip.
- Keep a recent photo of children on your cellphone or download the free iPhone app Lost Kidz to send out an "Amber Alert" to similar users nearby in the unlikely event children get lost or go missing.
- The biggest safety risk in flying with kids is germs. It's not the recirculated air, it's the stuff everyone else has touched. So wipe down everything – tray tables, armrests, remote controls, seatbelt buckles – before kids sit down on the plane. Keep a packet of wipes handy for after the bathroom, too.
- At airports and train stations, Travelers Aid is a helpful resource if you experience an emergency (such as finding a lost child) or need help or more information about navigating between airport gates and getting useful information about your arrival location (such as finding trustworthy cab/public transportation services). Check the Travelers Aid website to see if the airport or train station you are using has a Travelers Aid desk. www.travelersaid.org
- If you're flying with a baby, try to feed them (nurse or bottle) during takeoff and landing. Unlike us, they can't consciously yawn and swallow, so this gets their little ears popping and safely relieving pressure.
- Car accidents are still the leading cause of injuries and death. Make sure kids are buckled up in taxis and during transfers (people often fail to follow their own rules when they're on vacations), and be sure to bring along or rent an approved child seat for toddlers if you'll be renting a car.
- If you are on a cruise, do be extra careful with young children and keep them close at hand. Today's cruise ships are designed to be safe, but they are big and not every danger can be prevented.
Relax…and Be Safe:
- Hotels don't always have safety features like child-safety locks and other precautions. Choose a ground floor hotel room or a room without a balcony. Cords used to open and close drapes can form a strangulation hazard; tie them up out of the way. When with babies and toddlers, travel with a bag of plastic plug guards.
- Know the location and contact information for the US embassy in your foreign destination. Find out this information prior to your departure http://www.usembassy.gov/ In the event of an emergency such as a death, arrest, illness, injury, missing persons, victims of a crime and other emergency circumstances, contact the embassy immediately.
- Sanitation and water safety have improved dramatically around the world in the past few decades, but in a number of countries, bottled water may be the best option. Nothing ruins a vacation like a gastro-intestinal upset, and children are more susceptible to dehydration from such illnesses.
- If your destination or resort involves water sports (ocean, lake, pool) use the same common sense precautions you would at home, making sure children do not swim unsupervised. If traveling with a toddler, use extra caution around unfenced pools and other bodies of water.
- Remember those medicines you so carefully remembered to pack? Be sure to keep them and other potentially hazardous things (blow dryers, scissors, etc.) out of children's reach, as you would at home.
- See the sights everyone loves to see – and don't lose sight of those you love. Hold children's hands in crowds or let them walk in front of you so they stay in your sight.
- Problems can occur anywhere, but when traveling, use common sense in what you allow your children to wear and display, especially when traveling overseas where the standard of living may not be as high. Dress them modestly and don't let kids sport ostentatious clothing, jewelry or expensive electronics.
- Make your trip enjoyable, not a marathon. A voyage is about the journey as well as the destination. Kids may seem to have boundless energy, but they don't have the stamina of adults. Pace yourself and your ambitions so you can take the time, enjoy yourselves, and create an unforgettable experience for you and the children with whom you are traveling. It's about making memories.
"Traveling with children can be a wonderful, fulfilling experience that enriches the lives of the youngsters and adults alike," said American Humane Association's President and CEO Dr. Robin Ganzert. "The key is to prepare and pace yourself. In this way you may all stay safe and healthy as you experience the joys of travel."
About American Humane Association
American Humane Association is the country's first national humane organization and the only one dedicated to protecting both children and animals. Since 1877, American Humane Association has been at the forefront of virtually every major advance in protecting our most vulnerable from cruelty, abuse and neglect. Today we're also leading the way in understanding the human-animal bond and its role in therapy, medicine and society. American Humane Association reaches millions of people every day through groundbreaking research, education, training and services that span a wide network of organizations, agencies and businesses. You can help make a difference, too. Visit American Humane Association at www.americanhumane.org today.
SOURCE American Humane Association
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,779
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,177
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,385
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 34,364
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,209
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,519
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 28, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,454
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,088
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 9,810
Intelligent machines are here. Robots, self-driving cars, drones, bots and many IoT devices are becoming smarter with Machine Learning. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Sudha Jamthe, CEO of IoTDisruptions.com, will discuss the next wave of business disruption at the junction of IoT and AI, impacting many industries and set to change our lives, work and world as we know it.
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 564
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,843
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,165
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Oct. 27, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,124
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 27, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,916
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 27, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 560
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,467
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 328
The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF), sponsor of the IoTivity open source project, and AllSeen Alliance, which provides the AllJoyn® open source IoT framework, today announced that the two organizations’ boards have approved a merger under the OCF name and bylaws. This merger will advance interoperability between connected devices from both groups, enabling the full operating potential of IoT and representing a significant step towards a connected ecosystem.
Oct. 27, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,334
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,196
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,090