|By Business Wire||
|December 12, 2012 01:00 PM EST||
A new agricultural electronic insect trapping device has the potential to automatically monitor insect pest populations and reduce the amount of insecticides emitted into the environment.
The Z-Trap is an insect trapping device that automatically detects the number of target insects captured by the trap and sends the data wirelessly to the grower's mobile phone or computer. The Z-Trap is a Purdue University discovery being commercialized in the Purdue Research Park by Spensa Technologies Inc.
"Tracking insect populations is a fundamental part of any pest management program and being able to track those numbers in real time electronically through a smartphone or a computer helps growers choose how to use insecticides more judiciously," said Johnny Park, president and CEO of Spensa and a Purdue research assistant professor in electrical and computer engineering. "This device enables growers to electronically monitor insect populations, reduces the amount of chemicals emitted in agricultural fields, lowers labor costs and reduces the amount of insecticides purchased by growers."
In the U.S. in 2010, crop growers lost $20 billion to insect damage and spent $4.5 billion on insecticides, according to Park.
"Currently the technology is being used to collect data on codling moths, Oriental fruit moths and leaf rollers in apple orchards," said Tom Puterbaugh, Spensa Technologies vice president of products. "But Z-Trap will eventually be used to collect insect data from other types of crops including almond, walnut, orange, pear, grape, cherry, vegetable, corn, soybeans and many other stored products."
Z-Trap is being commercialized through the Purdue Office of Technology Commercialization. For more information, contact Jon Gortat, project manager II, (765) 588-3485, [email protected]
Z-Trap can be used in conjunction with MyTraps.com, an online app that helps growers and pesticide consultants track the number of insects for any agricultural crops. The technology is available as an online subscription service.
"Z-Trap is a hardware that collects insect data and MyTraps.com is a software that presents the data to growers and consultants so they can make insightful decisions about insect control," Park said.
Publication-quality photographs are available at http://www.purdue.edu/uns/images/2012/spensa-ztrap.jpg and http://www.purdue.edu/uns/images/2012/ztrap-closeup.jpg
A video of the Z-Trap technology can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfqUGixU5xE
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1