|By PR Newswire||
|December 20, 2012 04:50 AM EST||
CAMBRIDGE, England, December 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Tablets are set to be the hottest gift of Christmas 2012, but broadband and smartphone comparison site BroadbandGenie.co.uk is warning that consumers should shop carefully to avoid getting caught out by the extra costs of a tablet with mobile broadband.
Popular choices like the Apple iPad Mini, Google Nexus 7 and iPad with Retina Display include options for 3G mobile broadband, giving online access wherever there's a network signal.
However this also entails additional data charges for the tablet's SIM card, an important consideration when so many of the devices are heading into the hands of kids and students.
Gift-buyers will need to be particularly careful of contract tablet deals. These can be an easy way of picking up a pricey iPad for a relatively small initial outlay but they involve an ongoing commitment which can last as long as two years.
"Mobile broadband is a useful addition to any tablet, but also another drain on monthly outgoings," says Broadband Genie editor Matt Powell. "Cash-strapped students in particular may find it hard to justify paying for both a tablet and mobile phone contract."
"As an alternative, parents can consider a pay-as-you-go or 30-day SIM deal. While this will be more expensive up-front it means a tablet comes without the burden of a contract and makes it far easier for those on a tight budget to manage the data charges."
Tablets can also be purchased without mobile broadband support of course, and provided it's permitted by your network it is simple to use a smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot so you only need to pay for one mobile contract to get multiple devices online.
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. Broadband Genie is the UK's leading independent broadband, mobile broadband and smartphone comparison website, providing consumers with an unbiased source of information on prices and contracts and allowing them to compare providers in an independent environment. Broadband Genie was launched in March 2004 as the first dedicated consumer comparison site for broadband, while Mobile Broadband Genie was the first independent mobile broadband comparison site, launched in October 2007. The sites were combined in 2010, with the addition of smartphone comparison. The site is one of the most popular in its field, regularly featuring in the national press. http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk
2. All queries and interview requests should be directed to Matt Powell at Broadband Genie: [email protected]
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1