|By PR Newswire||
|January 3, 2013 05:55 AM EST||
CHESTER, England, January 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Save over £618 by moving to a zero per cent credit card deal*
- Taking advantage of promotional offers can save hundreds of pounds in 2013
With Christmas over, many people may be nursing a credit card hangover into the New Year. Consolidating and clearing those debts in a sensible way should be top of the 'to-do' list, according to MoneySupermarket.
A recent MoneySupermarket poll found one in ten consumers* planned to put Christmas spend on their credit or store card. For those who cannot afford to repay the debt this month, they should look to transfer their Christmas balance to a new zero per cent balance transfer card, and think carefully about how to budget throughout the year in order to pay off the debt quickly.
Kevin Mountford, Head of Banking at MoneySupermarket, said: "Now the festive season has been and gone, it won't be a Christmas card landing on the doormat for households but potentially a hefty credit card bill instead, serving as a reminder of the expense of Christmas.
"For people looking to tackle these debts, spending a few minutes reviewing your finances could make all the difference to your finances in 2013. Moving existing credit card debt onto a zero per cent deal is one option to help save money, but it is also important to consider how much you can realistically afford to repay every month in order to find an appropriate product- this will help to ensure credit card debts are cleared in the most efficient way possible. For debt accrued over Christmas, ideally people should look to pay off this debt before the next festivities, but for some people this may not be an affordable option so they have to look at all the options available."
For those looking to switch credit cards, MoneySupermarket offers the following top tips:
- Plan a realistic budget to pay off debts. If you are looking to switch your debt to a zero per cent deal then aim to pay it off before the balance transfer period ends, and ensure you can afford the monthly repayments to clear the debt. Moving £3,000 to the market leading 24 month balance transfer card from Barclaycard Platinum credit card would save £618.07 in interest** by repaying £129 per month over the two year interest free period.
- Check the small print for transfer fees as many providers charge a fee when moving onto a zero per cent credit card e.g. NatWest and RBS both charge a 3.5 per cent fee on their Platinum Extended balance transfer credit cards.
- Ensure you are able to transfer a balance. Anyone looking to switch credit card debt should check whether they are allowed to transfer their balance to a new provider. Some providers prevent the transfer of existing debt to other cards within the card issuers group. For example, Virgin cardholders cannot transfer a balance to or from another card from issuer MBNA Europe.
- Check your credit rating. Make sure you have a good credit rating before applying for a credit card to avoid rejection or being offered higher rates than expected. Even a good or excellent credit rating may not necessarily guarantee card acceptance.
- Switch to a low rate card - If you cannot afford to repay a debt on a zero per cent card within the zero per cent period then consider switching to a low rate credit card. Switching £3,000 to the market leading low rate credit card from Sainsbury's at 6.9 per cent and repaying £150 per month would take 22 months to clear the balance and save £325 in interest***.
- Check the credit limit you need. Even if you are accepted for a new deal, the credit limit you receive may not cover the entire balance you want to switch. If this is the case, then transfer as much as you can and then focus on paying off the remaining balance on your old card as quickly as possible while maintaining minimum repayments on the new one.
- Paying off the balance. If you are unable to move your Christmas debt, then aim to pay off the balance as quickly as possible. Paying off £150 a month on a £3,000 balance on a card with an average rate of 17.33 per cent would take two years. If you have more than one credit card, then pay off the most the debt that is accruing the most interest charges first, but don't forget to pay at least the minimum of the other cards.
- Personal loan options. For those unable to find a new card deal it may be worth considering a personal loan. A loan allows consumers to make fixed repayments over a set period of time which is ideal for anyone looking to budget. The best personal loan deals are only available to those with good credit histories. For those with poorer credit histories and equity in their homes, a secure loan may be another option.
9. Review outgoings. If you are unable to switch to a cheaper deal and cannot afford to service your existing borrowing then look at alternative ways of paying off your debts. Review all of your outgoings and try to free some cash which can then be used to pay off debts. Concentrate on repaying the debt with the most expensive interest rate first as this is likely to be costing the most.
10. Don't bury your head in the sand. If your debts are unmanageable then seek immediate help from one of the free debt advice services such as Citizen's Advice or Step Change who will be able offer help and advice.
Notes to editors
*According to MoneySupermarket webpoll 2012
How will you cover the cost of Christmas this year?
- I'll dip into savings - 23.7%
- I'll use my disposable income - 38.1%
- I'll use my credit card/store card - 10.5%
- I'll have to use my overdraft - 3.2%
- I have been saving up all year via a savings scheme - 9.7%
- I'll borrow money from friends and/or family - 1.6%
- Unsure or don't know - 4.6%
- I don't celebrate Christmas - 8.5%
Total votes: 2,910
Voting Ended: 06/11/2012
** Compared to making a £125 monthly repayment on a credit card with a balance of £3,000 with an industry average APR of 17.33 per cent. Barclaycard balance includes BT fee of 3.2 per cent.
*** Compared to making a £150 monthly repayment on a credit card with a balance of £3,000 with an industry average APR of 17.33 per cent
Notes to Editors
MoneySupermarket.com compares (at 29th November 2012)
- 130 car insurance brands and 99 home insurance brands
- 9 broadband providers and 20 energy providers
- 30 unsecured loan and 5 secured loan providers
- 62 mortgage lenders and 27 credit card providers
- 63 savings providers and 38 current account providers.
- Over 920,000 mobile phone deals
We help our customers to save money on all of their household bills by providing a free, easy to use online service so they can compare a wide range of products in one place and find the product most suited to their needs. Our size means we are able to offer our customers exclusive, market-leading deals, including some they can't even get direct from providers.
By having considerable volumes of informed customers actively looking for products and ready to purchase, we offer our providers an efficient and cost effective customer acquisition solution across all of our channels. This enables our providers to target their marketing spend in an effective and completely measurable way.
Our revenue comes predominantly from fees paid to us by product providers when a customer clicks through to their website and actually applies for or purchases a product. It is a success based marketing fee.
Our customer commitment
- We make it easy to find the brands you expect to see
- We strive to ensure a product cannot be found cheaper by going direct
- We let you remain in control of your personal data
- We are independent and impartial
- We make it easy to switch and save
- We strive to always show the most competitive product available
Building low-cost wearable devices can enhance the quality of our lives. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Sai Yamanoor, Embedded Software Engineer at Altschool, provided an example of putting together a small keychain within a $50 budget that educates the user about the air quality in their surroundings. He also provided examples such as building a wearable device that provides transit or recreational information. He then reviewed the resources available to build wearable devices at home including open source hardware, the raw materials required and the options available to power s...
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,969
“The age of the Internet of Things is upon us,” stated Thomas Svensson, senior vice-president and general manager EMEA, ThingWorx, “and working with forward-thinking companies, such as Elisa, enables us to deploy our leading technology so that customers can profit from complete, end-to-end solutions.” ThingWorx, a PTC® (Nasdaq: PTC) business and Internet of Things (IoT) platform provider, announced on Monday that Elisa, Finnish provider of mobile and fixed broadband subscriptions, will deploy ThingWorx® platform technology to enable a new Elisa IoT service in Finland and Estonia.
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,517
Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs) are increasing at an unprecedented rate. The threat landscape of today is drastically different than just a few years ago. Attacks are much more organized and sophisticated. They are harder to detect and even harder to anticipate. In the foreseeable future it's going to get a whole lot harder. Everything you know today will change. Keeping up with this changing landscape is already a daunting task. Your organization needs to use the latest tools, methods and expertise to guard against those threats. But will that be enough? In the foreseeable future attacks w...
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,895
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,840
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Jan. 26, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,982
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Jan. 26, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,487
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Jan. 26, 2015 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,615
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Jan. 26, 2015 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,313
Disruptive macro trends in technology are impacting and dramatically changing the "art of the possible" relative to supply chain management practices through the innovative use of IoT, cloud, machine learning and Big Data to enable connected ecosystems of engagement. Enterprise informatics can now move beyond point solutions that merely monitor the past and implement integrated enterprise fabrics that enable end-to-end supply chain visibility to improve customer service delivery and optimize supplier management. Learn about enterprise architecture strategies for designing connected systems tha...
Jan. 26, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,868
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Jan. 26, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,617
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Bagnulo, Solution Architect / Software Engineer at SOA Software, focused on desi...
Jan. 26, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,106
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 26, 2015 09:30 AM EST Reads: 2,129
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP and chief architect at BSQUARE Corporation; Seth Proctor, CTO of NuoDB, Inc.; and Andris Gailitis, C...
Jan. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EST Reads: 2,490
Recurring revenue models are great for driving new business in every market sector, but they are complex and need to be effectively managed to maximize profits. How you handle the range of options for pricing, co-terming and proration will ultimately determine the fate of your bottom line. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder at Aria Systems, session examined: How time impacts recurring revenue How to effectively handle customer plan changes The range of pricing and packaging options to consider
Jan. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EST Reads: 2,460
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Jan. 26, 2015 07:45 AM EST Reads: 2,403
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Jan. 26, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,757
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial Cloud.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,568
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by mining large volumes of unstructured data, and how data tracking delivers uptime when it matters most.
Jan. 26, 2015 12:45 AM EST Reads: 3,503
SYS-CON Events announced today that ActiveState, the leading independent Cloud Foundry and Docker-based PaaS provider, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The Company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges thro...
Jan. 25, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,812
SYS-CON Media announced that Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow, has launched a new ad campaign in Cloud Computing Journal. The ad campaign, a webcast titled 'Is Your Data Center Ready for the Application Economy?', focuses on the latest data center networking technologies, including SDN or ACI, and how customers are using SDN and ACI in their organizations to achieve business agility. The Cisco webcast is available on-demand.
Jan. 25, 2015 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,302