|By PR Newswire||
|January 3, 2013 05:55 AM EST||
CHESTER, England, January 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Save over £618 by moving to a zero per cent credit card deal*
- Taking advantage of promotional offers can save hundreds of pounds in 2013
With Christmas over, many people may be nursing a credit card hangover into the New Year. Consolidating and clearing those debts in a sensible way should be top of the 'to-do' list, according to MoneySupermarket.
A recent MoneySupermarket poll found one in ten consumers* planned to put Christmas spend on their credit or store card. For those who cannot afford to repay the debt this month, they should look to transfer their Christmas balance to a new zero per cent balance transfer card, and think carefully about how to budget throughout the year in order to pay off the debt quickly.
Kevin Mountford, Head of Banking at MoneySupermarket, said: "Now the festive season has been and gone, it won't be a Christmas card landing on the doormat for households but potentially a hefty credit card bill instead, serving as a reminder of the expense of Christmas.
"For people looking to tackle these debts, spending a few minutes reviewing your finances could make all the difference to your finances in 2013. Moving existing credit card debt onto a zero per cent deal is one option to help save money, but it is also important to consider how much you can realistically afford to repay every month in order to find an appropriate product- this will help to ensure credit card debts are cleared in the most efficient way possible. For debt accrued over Christmas, ideally people should look to pay off this debt before the next festivities, but for some people this may not be an affordable option so they have to look at all the options available."
For those looking to switch credit cards, MoneySupermarket offers the following top tips:
- Plan a realistic budget to pay off debts. If you are looking to switch your debt to a zero per cent deal then aim to pay it off before the balance transfer period ends, and ensure you can afford the monthly repayments to clear the debt. Moving £3,000 to the market leading 24 month balance transfer card from Barclaycard Platinum credit card would save £618.07 in interest** by repaying £129 per month over the two year interest free period.
- Check the small print for transfer fees as many providers charge a fee when moving onto a zero per cent credit card e.g. NatWest and RBS both charge a 3.5 per cent fee on their Platinum Extended balance transfer credit cards.
- Ensure you are able to transfer a balance. Anyone looking to switch credit card debt should check whether they are allowed to transfer their balance to a new provider. Some providers prevent the transfer of existing debt to other cards within the card issuers group. For example, Virgin cardholders cannot transfer a balance to or from another card from issuer MBNA Europe.
- Check your credit rating. Make sure you have a good credit rating before applying for a credit card to avoid rejection or being offered higher rates than expected. Even a good or excellent credit rating may not necessarily guarantee card acceptance.
- Switch to a low rate card - If you cannot afford to repay a debt on a zero per cent card within the zero per cent period then consider switching to a low rate credit card. Switching £3,000 to the market leading low rate credit card from Sainsbury's at 6.9 per cent and repaying £150 per month would take 22 months to clear the balance and save £325 in interest***.
- Check the credit limit you need. Even if you are accepted for a new deal, the credit limit you receive may not cover the entire balance you want to switch. If this is the case, then transfer as much as you can and then focus on paying off the remaining balance on your old card as quickly as possible while maintaining minimum repayments on the new one.
- Paying off the balance. If you are unable to move your Christmas debt, then aim to pay off the balance as quickly as possible. Paying off £150 a month on a £3,000 balance on a card with an average rate of 17.33 per cent would take two years. If you have more than one credit card, then pay off the most the debt that is accruing the most interest charges first, but don't forget to pay at least the minimum of the other cards.
- Personal loan options. For those unable to find a new card deal it may be worth considering a personal loan. A loan allows consumers to make fixed repayments over a set period of time which is ideal for anyone looking to budget. The best personal loan deals are only available to those with good credit histories. For those with poorer credit histories and equity in their homes, a secure loan may be another option.
9. Review outgoings. If you are unable to switch to a cheaper deal and cannot afford to service your existing borrowing then look at alternative ways of paying off your debts. Review all of your outgoings and try to free some cash which can then be used to pay off debts. Concentrate on repaying the debt with the most expensive interest rate first as this is likely to be costing the most.
10. Don't bury your head in the sand. If your debts are unmanageable then seek immediate help from one of the free debt advice services such as Citizen's Advice or Step Change who will be able offer help and advice.
Notes to editors
*According to MoneySupermarket webpoll 2012
How will you cover the cost of Christmas this year?
- I'll dip into savings - 23.7%
- I'll use my disposable income - 38.1%
- I'll use my credit card/store card - 10.5%
- I'll have to use my overdraft - 3.2%
- I have been saving up all year via a savings scheme - 9.7%
- I'll borrow money from friends and/or family - 1.6%
- Unsure or don't know - 4.6%
- I don't celebrate Christmas - 8.5%
Total votes: 2,910
Voting Ended: 06/11/2012
** Compared to making a £125 monthly repayment on a credit card with a balance of £3,000 with an industry average APR of 17.33 per cent. Barclaycard balance includes BT fee of 3.2 per cent.
*** Compared to making a £150 monthly repayment on a credit card with a balance of £3,000 with an industry average APR of 17.33 per cent
Notes to Editors
MoneySupermarket.com compares (at 29th November 2012)
- 130 car insurance brands and 99 home insurance brands
- 9 broadband providers and 20 energy providers
- 30 unsecured loan and 5 secured loan providers
- 62 mortgage lenders and 27 credit card providers
- 63 savings providers and 38 current account providers.
- Over 920,000 mobile phone deals
We help our customers to save money on all of their household bills by providing a free, easy to use online service so they can compare a wide range of products in one place and find the product most suited to their needs. Our size means we are able to offer our customers exclusive, market-leading deals, including some they can't even get direct from providers.
By having considerable volumes of informed customers actively looking for products and ready to purchase, we offer our providers an efficient and cost effective customer acquisition solution across all of our channels. This enables our providers to target their marketing spend in an effective and completely measurable way.
Our revenue comes predominantly from fees paid to us by product providers when a customer clicks through to their website and actually applies for or purchases a product. It is a success based marketing fee.
Our customer commitment
- We make it easy to find the brands you expect to see
- We strive to ensure a product cannot be found cheaper by going direct
- We let you remain in control of your personal data
- We are independent and impartial
- We make it easy to switch and save
- We strive to always show the most competitive product available
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accelerate their digital channels with APIs, drive partner adoption, monetize their assets, and achieve a...
Oct. 31, 2014 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,156
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue business and deliver exceptional experiences to their customers.
Oct. 31, 2014 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,225
SYS-CON Events announced today that AgilePoint, the leading provider of Microsoft-centric Business Process Management software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 2nd International @ThingsExpo which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. AgilePoint is the leading provider of Microsoft-based Business Process Management (BPM) software products, has 1,300+ on-premise and cloud deployments in 25+ countries and provides the same advanced BPM feature set as J2EE vendors like IBM and Appian for the Microsoft .NET native environment. AgilePoint customer...
Oct. 31, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,419
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., will show what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He will discuss opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and tec...
Oct. 31, 2014 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,682
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customizable platform to easily integrate into existing software solutions, embed business logic and build s...
Oct. 31, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,992
One of the biggest challenges when developing connected devices is identifying user value and delivering it through successful user experiences. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mike Kuniavsky, Principal Scientist, Innovation Services at PARC, will describe an IoT-specific approach to user experience design that combines approaches from interaction design, industrial design and service design to create experiences that go beyond simple connected gadgets to create lasting, multi-device experiences grounded in people’s real needs and desires.
Oct. 31, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,863
SYS-CON Events announced today that TeleStax, the main sponsor of Mobicents, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TeleStax provides Open Source Communications software and services that facilitate the shift from legacy SS7 based IN networks to IP based LTE and IMS networks hosted on private (on-premise), hybrid or public clouds. TeleStax products include Restcomm, JSLEE, SMSC Gateway, USSD Gateway, SS7 Resource Adaptors, SIP Servlets, Rich Multimedia Services, Presence Services/RCS, Diame...
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,739
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: Samsung recognizes that true, accelerated innovation cannot be driven from one source, but requires a...
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,416
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, has spent 16 years as a marketing, product management, and busin...
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,371
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, will address the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. How important are public, private, and hybrid cloud to the enterprise? How does one define Big Data? And how is the IoT tying all this together?
Oct. 31, 2014 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,042
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Oct. 31, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,720
SYS-CON Events announces a new pavilion on the Cloud Expo floor where WebRTC converges with the Internet of Things. Pavilion will showcase WebRTC and the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices--computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors – connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades.
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,251
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Whether public, private, or in a hybrid form, clo...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,583
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridsto...
Oct. 30, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,650
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, a...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,104
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP’s Printing and Personal Systems Group, will discuss how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, senso...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,801
The Internet of Things (IoT) is making everything it touches smarter – smart devices, smart cars and smart cities. And lucky us, we’re just beginning to reap the benefits as we work toward a networked society. However, this technology-driven innovation is impacting more than just individuals. The IoT has an environmental impact as well, which brings us to the theme of this month’s #IoTuesday Twitter chat. The ability to remove inefficiencies through connected objects is driving change throughout every sector, including waste management. BigBelly Solar, located just outside of Boston, is trans...
Oct. 30, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,224
Connected devices and the Internet of Things are getting significant momentum in 2014. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine three key elements that together will drive mass adoption of the IoT before the end of 2015. The first element is the recent advent of robust open source protocols (like AllJoyn and WebRTC) that facilitate M2M communication. The second is broad availability of flexible, cost-effective storage designed to handle the massive surge in back-end data in a world where timely analytics...
Oct. 30, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,691
Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley announced on Thursday its first 12 all-star speakers and sessions for its upcoming event, which will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California. @ThingsExpo, the first and largest IoT event in the world, debuted at the Javits Center in New York City in June 10-12, 2014 with over 6,000 delegates attending the conference. Among the first 12 announced world class speakers, IBM will present two highly popular IoT sessions, which will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, Calif...
Oct. 30, 2014 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,334
From a software development perspective IoT is about programming "things," about connecting them with each other or integrating them with existing applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Yakov Fain, co-founder of Farata Systems and SuranceBay, will show you how small IoT-enabled devices from multiple manufacturers can be integrated into the workflow of an enterprise application. This is a practical demo of building a framework and components in HTML/Java/Mobile technologies to serve as a platform that can integrate new devices as they become available on the market.
Oct. 29, 2014 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,099