|By PR Newswire||
|January 3, 2013 05:55 AM EST||
CHESTER, England, January 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Save over £618 by moving to a zero per cent credit card deal*
- Taking advantage of promotional offers can save hundreds of pounds in 2013
With Christmas over, many people may be nursing a credit card hangover into the New Year. Consolidating and clearing those debts in a sensible way should be top of the 'to-do' list, according to MoneySupermarket.
A recent MoneySupermarket poll found one in ten consumers* planned to put Christmas spend on their credit or store card. For those who cannot afford to repay the debt this month, they should look to transfer their Christmas balance to a new zero per cent balance transfer card, and think carefully about how to budget throughout the year in order to pay off the debt quickly.
Kevin Mountford, Head of Banking at MoneySupermarket, said: "Now the festive season has been and gone, it won't be a Christmas card landing on the doormat for households but potentially a hefty credit card bill instead, serving as a reminder of the expense of Christmas.
"For people looking to tackle these debts, spending a few minutes reviewing your finances could make all the difference to your finances in 2013. Moving existing credit card debt onto a zero per cent deal is one option to help save money, but it is also important to consider how much you can realistically afford to repay every month in order to find an appropriate product- this will help to ensure credit card debts are cleared in the most efficient way possible. For debt accrued over Christmas, ideally people should look to pay off this debt before the next festivities, but for some people this may not be an affordable option so they have to look at all the options available."
For those looking to switch credit cards, MoneySupermarket offers the following top tips:
- Plan a realistic budget to pay off debts. If you are looking to switch your debt to a zero per cent deal then aim to pay it off before the balance transfer period ends, and ensure you can afford the monthly repayments to clear the debt. Moving £3,000 to the market leading 24 month balance transfer card from Barclaycard Platinum credit card would save £618.07 in interest** by repaying £129 per month over the two year interest free period.
- Check the small print for transfer fees as many providers charge a fee when moving onto a zero per cent credit card e.g. NatWest and RBS both charge a 3.5 per cent fee on their Platinum Extended balance transfer credit cards.
- Ensure you are able to transfer a balance. Anyone looking to switch credit card debt should check whether they are allowed to transfer their balance to a new provider. Some providers prevent the transfer of existing debt to other cards within the card issuers group. For example, Virgin cardholders cannot transfer a balance to or from another card from issuer MBNA Europe.
- Check your credit rating. Make sure you have a good credit rating before applying for a credit card to avoid rejection or being offered higher rates than expected. Even a good or excellent credit rating may not necessarily guarantee card acceptance.
- Switch to a low rate card - If you cannot afford to repay a debt on a zero per cent card within the zero per cent period then consider switching to a low rate credit card. Switching £3,000 to the market leading low rate credit card from Sainsbury's at 6.9 per cent and repaying £150 per month would take 22 months to clear the balance and save £325 in interest***.
- Check the credit limit you need. Even if you are accepted for a new deal, the credit limit you receive may not cover the entire balance you want to switch. If this is the case, then transfer as much as you can and then focus on paying off the remaining balance on your old card as quickly as possible while maintaining minimum repayments on the new one.
- Paying off the balance. If you are unable to move your Christmas debt, then aim to pay off the balance as quickly as possible. Paying off £150 a month on a £3,000 balance on a card with an average rate of 17.33 per cent would take two years. If you have more than one credit card, then pay off the most the debt that is accruing the most interest charges first, but don't forget to pay at least the minimum of the other cards.
- Personal loan options. For those unable to find a new card deal it may be worth considering a personal loan. A loan allows consumers to make fixed repayments over a set period of time which is ideal for anyone looking to budget. The best personal loan deals are only available to those with good credit histories. For those with poorer credit histories and equity in their homes, a secure loan may be another option.
9. Review outgoings. If you are unable to switch to a cheaper deal and cannot afford to service your existing borrowing then look at alternative ways of paying off your debts. Review all of your outgoings and try to free some cash which can then be used to pay off debts. Concentrate on repaying the debt with the most expensive interest rate first as this is likely to be costing the most.
10. Don't bury your head in the sand. If your debts are unmanageable then seek immediate help from one of the free debt advice services such as Citizen's Advice or Step Change who will be able offer help and advice.
Notes to editors
*According to MoneySupermarket webpoll 2012
How will you cover the cost of Christmas this year?
- I'll dip into savings - 23.7%
- I'll use my disposable income - 38.1%
- I'll use my credit card/store card - 10.5%
- I'll have to use my overdraft - 3.2%
- I have been saving up all year via a savings scheme - 9.7%
- I'll borrow money from friends and/or family - 1.6%
- Unsure or don't know - 4.6%
- I don't celebrate Christmas - 8.5%
Total votes: 2,910
Voting Ended: 06/11/2012
** Compared to making a £125 monthly repayment on a credit card with a balance of £3,000 with an industry average APR of 17.33 per cent. Barclaycard balance includes BT fee of 3.2 per cent.
*** Compared to making a £150 monthly repayment on a credit card with a balance of £3,000 with an industry average APR of 17.33 per cent
Notes to Editors
MoneySupermarket.com compares (at 29th November 2012)
- 130 car insurance brands and 99 home insurance brands
- 9 broadband providers and 20 energy providers
- 30 unsecured loan and 5 secured loan providers
- 62 mortgage lenders and 27 credit card providers
- 63 savings providers and 38 current account providers.
- Over 920,000 mobile phone deals
We help our customers to save money on all of their household bills by providing a free, easy to use online service so they can compare a wide range of products in one place and find the product most suited to their needs. Our size means we are able to offer our customers exclusive, market-leading deals, including some they can't even get direct from providers.
By having considerable volumes of informed customers actively looking for products and ready to purchase, we offer our providers an efficient and cost effective customer acquisition solution across all of our channels. This enables our providers to target their marketing spend in an effective and completely measurable way.
Our revenue comes predominantly from fees paid to us by product providers when a customer clicks through to their website and actually applies for or purchases a product. It is a success based marketing fee.
Our customer commitment
- We make it easy to find the brands you expect to see
- We strive to ensure a product cannot be found cheaper by going direct
- We let you remain in control of your personal data
- We are independent and impartial
- We make it easy to switch and save
- We strive to always show the most competitive product available
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 271
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be.
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 225
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 4, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 121
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 297
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts, GM of Platform at FinancialForce.com, will discuss the value of business applications on wearable ...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 110
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 502
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Sep. 4, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 401
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
Sep. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,617
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on demos and comprehensive walkthroughs.
Sep. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 431
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 4, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 663
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing these ideas and some early experiments performed in the Kurento open source software community in areas ...
Sep. 4, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 136
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Sep. 4, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 336
Containers are not new, but renewed commitments to performance, flexibility, and agility have propelled them to the top of the agenda today. By working without the need for virtualization and its overhead, containers are seen as the perfect way to deploy apps and services across multiple clouds. Containers can handle anything from file types to operating systems and services, including microservices. What are microservices? Unlike what the name implies, microservices are not necessarily small, but are focused on specific tasks. The ability for developers to deploy multiple containers – thous...
Sep. 4, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 212
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Sep. 4, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,047
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Treloar, President and COO of Bebaio, will explore examples of brands transforming their businesses by t...
Sep. 4, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 304
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes about through a Communications Platform as a Service which allows for messaging, screen sharing, video...
Sep. 4, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 757
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Sep. 4, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 509
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Sep. 4, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,708
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so they don't have to be replaced and are instantly converted to become smart, connected devices.
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 275
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Communication) is an open source project supported by Google, Mozilla and Opera that aims to enable bro...
Sep. 4, 2015 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,635