|By PR Newswire||
|January 8, 2013 07:17 AM EST||
IRVING, Texas, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- From craft fairs and street markets to haute couture fashion shows and pop culture, the Michaels trend team scours the globe each year to forecast trends that will inspire new ideas for all kinds of creative DIY projects.
Michaels, North America's largest arts and crafts specialty retailer, uses the latest trends to make sure its shelves are stocked with an exciting, updated product mix and its website is packed with creative new ideas. Here are the newest crafting trends for 2013:
- Nostalgia/vintage: This vintage craft trend harkens back to childhood and invokes images of grandma's house, but interprets them in fresh, new ways using dramatic scale, different colors and unusual applications. Key elements include jumbo pom-poms; chalkboard paint and paper; doilies that are dip-dyed and molded into interesting shapes; lace in many forms and materials; and laser-cut frames for art and home décor. Mason jars come out of the pantry and become colorful, fun lanterns, drinking glasses and vases; and vintage book pages and newsprint are reimagined in banners, paper flowers and home décor surfaces.
- Eco-chic brings nature into crafting with wood grain, natural fibers, rope, paper and cork. Key green/eco craft elements include raw, unfinished wood with an emphasis on the grain and affordable burlap on everything from pillows to spooled ribbon. Nature is imitated with paper-crafted flowers in tissue, recycled newsprint and scrapbooking papers that seem as fresh and new as the real thing.
- Unexpected materials pop up in traditional crafts like wreaths, banners and garlands. Projects include wreaths made of photos, balloons, clothes pins, fabric remnants and more. Banners and garlands are personalized and embellished for all types of life celebrations such as weddings, birthdays and holidays. Embellishments include twine, ribbon and mixed-media elements.
- Personalization continues strong into 2013, with initials and monograms showing up on all kinds of projects. Everyday objects like cell phone cases and shoes become one of a kind with any type of bling or embellishment imaginable.
"From home decorating to celebrations to seasonal projects and beyond, these trends will inspire DIYers throughout the year to try something new and different, or see an old favorite in a new way," said Michaels Trend and Design Director Becki Speakman. "We look forward to seeing how our customers interpret these trends in their own unique ways when they share their projects on our Facebook and Pinterest pages."
Irving, Texas-based Michaels Stores, Inc. is North America's largest specialty retailer of arts, crafts, framing, floral, wall décor and seasonal merchandise for the hobbyist and do-it-yourself home decorator. The company currently owns and operates more than 1,090 Michaels stores in 49 states and Canada, and 128 Aaron Brothers stores, and produces 11 exclusive private brands including Recollections®, Studio Decor®, Bead Landing®, Creatology®, Ashland®, Celebrate It®, Art Minds®, Artist's Loft®, Craft Smart® and Loops & Threads® and Imagin8™. For more information visit www.Michaels.com
Media Contact: Loren Rutledge
SOURCE Michaels Stores
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1