|By Marketwired .||
|January 9, 2013 11:32 AM EST||
PETERBOROUGH, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/09/13 -- The New Year marks the long-anticipated start of hard water fishing season for thousands of Ontario anglers. Due to unseasonably inconsistent weather, the ice conditions on the majority of the Province's lakes and rivers cannot be considered safe. The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) and the OPP want to remind anglers and anyone venturing onto frozen lakes and water bodies to put safety first.
"Ice fishing is a great way to enjoy the winter season, but anglers must be aware that ice conditions are constantly changing hour to hour, day to day and place to place," said Shannon Gutoskie, OFAH Manager of Communications. "It's good practice to have emergency equipment on hand so you're prepared for anything. Taking simple safety measures could save your life."
"We're asking anglers to use caution and common sense. The ice may look safe, but with rain and warm temperatures on the horizon, no ice can be considered 100% safe for travel by foot and any motorized recreational vehicles or trucks, especially at this time of year," said Iain McEwan, Media Relations Officer with Peterborough County OPP. "The message is simple. If you don't know, don't go."
Anglers are reminded to carry valid fishing, snowmobile and ATV licenses with them at all times. They should also be sure to review the 2013 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary, available online and at MNR offices and license retailers.
Ice safety tips:
-- Never travel on ice unless you know it's safe. Check thickness and conditions frequently. Ask local ice hut operators. -- Clear, hard ice should be a minimum of 6" for walking. -- Never travel on ice alone, at night or after consuming alcohol. -- Let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return. -- Avoid slushy ice, untracked ice or ice near moving water where ice is less stable. -- Stay off ice early or late in the season or after any sudden and pronounced melt, thaw or rain. -- Be prepared for an emergency - wear a buoyant snowmobile suit, carry ice picks and have a whistle and/or cell phone on hand.
With over 100,000 members, subscribers and supporters, and 675 member clubs, the OFAH is the province's largest nonprofit, fish and wildlife conservation-based organization, and the VOICE of anglers and hunters. For more information, visit www.ofah.org, like the OFAH on Facebook and follow them on Twitter.
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1