|By PR Newswire||
|January 16, 2013 09:41 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With two major gifts of $10,000 each and hundreds from $5 on up, South Shore Drill Team exceeded its goal of $45,000 to take the group to the Presidential Inaugural Parade on January 21. The additional funds will allow team members to experience more of Washington, DC while there.
"I'm elated and extremely grateful," says Arthur Robertson, founder and director of the team. "Our young people worked hard for this, and we're on our way!"
Since learning on December 18, 2012 that the group was one of the first 24 chosen from among 2,800 applications, the team appealed to the community for $45,000 to cover transportation, lodging, and meals. Chicago media outlets interviewed team members and let the public know they needed help.
On Monday, January 7, Walgreens announced they were contributing $10,000 to the team, and on January 14, Timothy Rand of Chicago Football Classic offered $10,000 towards the effort. Those gifts combined with online contributions and mailed-in checks, and a $2,500 gift from cell phone provider PTEL brought the total to $41,000.
On hearing the team was just short of its goal, both Buddy Guy and Com Ed offered $4,000.
Gifts have come from the Northside, Westside, Southside, and the suburbs. People from all walks of life and all ethnic backgrounds sent in contributions, making it an all-Chicago effort. Many included congratulatory notes thanking team members for making Chicago proud.
A celebratory send-off will be held on Friday, January 18 from 4-6 pm at the Comer Center. People can sign a banner and wish team members well. Departure to DC is scheduled for 11 pm, and the group will arrive in the Capitol around 2 pm Saturday. They will perform at the Youth Inaugural Ball on Sunday and march in the parade Monday, January 21 at 2 pm CST.
Those interested in learning more can visit the website, www.southshoredrillteam.org. For more information or to interview team members, call (773) 752-7830.
South Shore Drill Team & Performing Arts Ensemble
7218 S. South Chicago Ave. * Chicago, IL 60619 * (773) 752-7830 * www.southshoredrillteam.org
South Shore Drill Team & Performing Arts Ensemble is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit; contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
CONTACT: Stella Natufe, (312) 434-1782 or [email protected]
SOURCE South Shore Drill Team
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1