|By Business Wire||
|January 23, 2013 10:33 AM EST||
As 2013 gets underway, Cellebrite, the leading provider of mobile forensic and mobile data transfer solutions, has announced a list of top trends and predictions in mobile forensics for the year ahead.
To gather these predictions, Cellebrite interviewed a number of prominent experts from law enforcement, corporations and universities, as well as industry analysts, familiar with mobile forensics, information security and e-discovery and the most advanced mobile forensic products available today. They highlighted the following nine trends as the most critical for investigative and legal professionals to prepare for the upcoming year:
1. BYOD impacts the forensics industry. While “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD) seemed to infiltrate the enterprise in 2012, the mobile forensics industry will confront the impact of this growing trend in the year ahead. BYOD adoption across the enterprise means that forensics professionals will encounter a greater number of compromised phones. According to John Carney, Chief Technology Officer, Carney Forensics, “For e-discovery experts, BYOD will mean contending with more devices that contain both personal and corporate evidence as well as an increase in legal challenges related to device access and privacy during corporate investigations.”
2. Critical data: there’s an app for that. According to a 2012 Nielsen report, the average smartphone user has approximately 41 apps installed on a single device. “Whether it’s mobile messaging, personal navigation, social media or improving productivity – apps are going to dominate smartphones and tablets in 2013,” said Carney. “The ability to extract critical data stored in apps will become the new measuring stick by which investigators gauge the superiority of mobile forensics tools.”
3. Smarter phones mean tougher encryption. “Expect to see more encryption of data on smartphones to protect personal privacy and corporate data, which will make forensic examination more challenging,” said Eoghan Casey, founding partner at CASEITE. Password technology, too, has advanced; pattern-screen locks have hindered forensic data extraction efforts. In 2013, look for mobile forensics tools to continue to find ways to bypass a greater number of passwords and device locks, as well as address advanced encryption technology.
4. Investigators can’t put all their eggs into one mobile operating system. Though Android took 75 percent of the market in Q3 of 2012, for mobile forensics professionals, market share isn’t everything. As Paul Henry, security and forensics analyst, vNet Security, noted, “While Android is the predominant operating system, the bulk of the bandwidth is still taking place on Apple devices, making them critical to many investigations.” In addition, despite BlackBerry’s decline in recent years, Carney said: “Their popularity for over a decade will make them an important legacy device pertinent to investigations for years to come.”
5. Windows 8 is the wildcard. Notwithstanding all the attention garnered by Android and Apple, the real wildcard for 2013 will be the rise of Microsoft in the mobile device market. While questions remain regarding how prevalent Microsoft devices will become, Cellebrite’s panel of experts predicts that the need for mobile forensic tools providing support for Windows 8 will increase in the New Year.
6. Mobile devices advance as witnesses. Look for mobile devices and the data they contain to take center stage in both civil and criminal investigations in the year ahead. “Civil litigators are discovering that mobile device evidence is just as important as digital documents and email evidence,” said Carney. According to Heather Mahalik, mobile forensics technical lead at Basis Technology, “Now, more than ever before, e-discovery experts need comprehensive training in order to ensure the proper extraction of all relevant data from mobile devices.”
7. The regulatory and legislative landscape remains uncertain. “Lawmakers and judges are looking at cell phones much more critically than they did computers,” said Gary Kessler, associate professor, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and a member of the ICAC North Florida Task Force. “However, because few understand the nature of the technology, they are erring greatly on the side of caution. This speaks to the need for greater education regarding the scope and possibilities of mobile forensics and what it means for privacy and pre-trial discovery.”
8. Mobile malware’s incidence will rise. In 2013, look for malware on smartphone platforms and tablets to increase exponentially, particularly on Android devices. According to Cindy Murphy, detective, computer crimes/computer forensics, Madison Wisconsin Police Department, “The intended uses of mobile malware will be very similar to non-mobile malware – steal money, steal information and invade privacy. For law enforcement and forensics professionals, mobile malware means dealing with potentially compromised devices that may help perpetrators cover their tracks, making it increasingly difficult for investigators to meet the threshold of reasonable doubt.”
9. Data breaches via mobile will rise. “Mobile forensics vendors should resolve to provide stronger capabilities for enterprise wide smartphone investigations to support the investigation of data breaches targeting smartphones and the needs of e-discovery,” said Casey. Malware together with large-scale targeted intrusions into smartphones (targeting sensitive data) will raise enterprises’ risks for data destruction, denial of service, data theft and espionage.
“From the increasing use of mobile evidence to challenges stemming from the rise in tougher encryption methods, there are a number of areas that will demand the attention of mobile forensics professionals in the year ahead,” said Ron Serber, Cellebrite co-CEO. “As the industry continues to evolve, it will be critical for the law enforcement community, as well as the enterprise, to invest in proper training and ensure that their budgets allow them to meet the growing demand for comprehensive device analysis and data extraction.”
Cellebrite’s UFED provides cutting-edge solutions for physical, logical and file system extraction of data and passwords from thousands of legacy and feature phones, smartphones, portable GPS devices, and tablets with ground-breaking physical extraction capabilities for the world’s most popular platforms – BlackBerry®, iOS, Android, Nokia, Windows Mobile, Symbian and Palm and more. The extraction of vital evidentiary data includes call logs, phonebook, text messages (SMS), pictures, videos, audio files, ESN IMEI, ICCID and IMSI information and more.
Cellebrite’s panel of experts included:
- Eoghan Casey, Founding Partner, CASEITE
- John Carney, Chief Technology Officer, Carney Forensics; Attorney at Law, Carney Law Office
- Paul Henry, Leading Security and Forensics Analyst, Principle at vNet Security; Vice President at Florida Association of Computer Crime Investigators; SANS Senior Instructor
- Gary Kessler, Associate Professor, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University; ICAC Northern Florida Task Force
- Heather Mahalik, Mobile Forensics Technical Lead, Basis Technology; SANS Certified Instructor
- Cindy Murphy, Detective Computer Crimes/Computer Forensics, Madison Wisconsin Police Department
- Ron Serber, co-CEO, Cellebrite
To read the full list of the panel’s predictions for 2013 click here.
Founded in 1999, Cellebrite is a global company known for its technological breakthroughs in the cellular industry. A world leader and authority in mobile data technology, Cellebrite established its mobile forensics division in 2007, introducing a new line of products targeted to the law enforcement sector. Using advanced extraction methods and analysis techniques, Cellebrite’s Universal Forensic Extraction Device (UFED) is able to extract and analyze data from thousands of mobile devices, including feature phones, smartphones and GPS devices. Cellebrite’s UFED is the tool of choice for thousands of forensic specialists in law enforcement, military, intelligence, security and government agencies in more than 60 countries.
Cellebrite is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Sun Corporation, a listed Japanese company (6736/JQ)
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabilities include HD voice, video, multimedia messaging, mobility, conferencing, Web collaboration, deskt...
Mar. 28, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,389
The Open Compute Project is a collective effort by Facebook and a number of players in the datacenter industry to bring lessons learned from the social media giant's giant IT deployment to the rest of the world. Datacenters account for 3% of global electricity consumption – about the same as all of Switzerland or the Czech Republic -- according to people I met at the recent Open Compute Summit in San Jose. With increasing mobility at the edge of the cloud and vast new dataflows being predicted with the growth of the Internet of Things (and The Coming Age of Many Zettabytes) in the near...
Mar. 28, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,777
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Mar. 27, 2015 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 999
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Mar. 27, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,117
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,669
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Mar. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,710
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,342
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed expressly to run Docker. He will also discuss Rancher, an orchestration and service discovery platf...
Mar. 27, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,357
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the leading innovator in recurring revenue, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Proven by the world’s most demanding enterprises, including AAA NCNU, Constant Contact, Falck, Hootsuite, Pitney Bowes, Telekom Denmark, and VMware, Aria helps enterprises grow their recurring revenue businesses. With Aria’s end-to-end active monetization platform, global brands can get to market faster with a wider variety of products and services, while maximizin...
Mar. 27, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,516
Sonus Networks introduced the Sonus WebRTC Services Solution, a virtualized Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC) offer, purpose-built for the Cloud. The WebRTC Services Solution provides signaling from WebRTC-to-WebRTC applications and interworking from WebRTC-to-Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), delivering advanced real-time communications capabilities on mobile applications and on websites, which are accessible via a browser.
Mar. 27, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,674
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Mar. 27, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,114
SYS-CON Events announced today that Akana, formerly SOA Software, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Akana’s comprehensive suite of API Management, API Security, Integrated SOA Governance, and Cloud Integration solutions helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Things. Akana enables enterprises to share data as APIs, connect and integrate applications, drive part...
Mar. 27, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,382
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Mar. 27, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 505
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions, faster.
Mar. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,365
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,373
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dr...
Mar. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,676
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and sim...
Mar. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,510
Cloud is not a commodity. And no matter what you call it, computing doesn’t come out of the sky. It comes from physical hardware inside brick and mortar facilities connected by hundreds of miles of networking cable. And no two clouds are built the same way. SoftLayer gives you the highest performing cloud infrastructure available. One platform that takes data centers around the world that are full of the widest range of cloud computing options, and then integrates and automates everything. Join SoftLayer on June 9 at 16th Cloud Expo to learn about IBM Cloud's SoftLayer platform, explore se...
Mar. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,534
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Mar. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,923
SYS-CON Media announced today that 9 out of 10 " most read" DevOps articles are published by @DevOpsSummit Blog. Launched in October 2014, @DevOpsSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce softw...
Mar. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,381