|By Business Wire||
|January 24, 2013 09:02 AM EST||
On February 8, Universal Pictures will release Identity Thief, a comedy starring Jason Bateman as an identity theft victim. However, real identity theft is no laughing matter—the Federal Trade Commission estimates that approximately 15 million Americans fall victim to identity fraud each year. For Data Privacy Day, observed Jan. 28, Cintas Corporation (NASDAQ: CTAS) today identified the most common identity thief personas.
“As the digital environment continues to grow and information transmitted through the Internet increases, so does the risk for identity theft,” said Karen Carnahan, President and COO, Cintas Document Management. “It is important to recognize the many types of identity thieves to reduce your risk of becoming a victim.”
The most common identity thief personas include:
- Dumpster diver. Your trash can be an identity thief’s treasure. Thieves can easily sift through garbage bags to identify documents with personal information. For example, a thief can simply fill out a pre-approved credit card application requesting a change of address, and receive a credit card in your name just days later. Protect yourself from the dumpster diver by shredding all important documents before disposal, including old credit cards and anything with your Social Security, driver's license or bank account number. If you have to question whether information is confidential or not, then it probably is and you should destroy it properly and completely.
- Irreverent wanderer. ID Analytics estimates that personal details of nearly 2.5 million deceased Americans are used every year to illegally apply for credit products and services. Irreverent wanderers typically find potential targets by perusing obituary notices or cemeteries. To keep thieves out of your family tree, provide only limited personal information in the deceased's obituary and avoid printing the individual's complete date of birth or address. Also, notify the Social Security Administration, the state's motor vehicles department, financial entities and all three credit reporting bureaus of a loved one's death.
- Child impersonators. Children are easy targets for identity thieves because the crime can go undetected for years. According to a report by AllClear ID, children are 35 times more likely to have their identities stolen than adults. Keep all documents that show a child’s personal information safely locked up and share their Social Security number only with trusted parties. Additionally, find out who has access to your child’s personal information, and read the notices that schools are required to send explaining your rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Pocket picker. Not all thieves go to extremes to steal your identity; some simply steal wallets, purses, mail and even cell phones. If you are a victim of this type of theft, your personal items may be the least of your worries. Filing a police report, notifying creditors and disputing any unauthorized transactions are some of the steps you must take immediately to prevent identity theft. To prevent this risk beforehand, it is important to regularly shred all unnecessary mail and activate the password protect feature on your mobile phone and tablet.
- Computer hacker. Unfortunately, many of today’s brilliant computer minds are not focused on improving our society. Rather, these computer hackers are using their abilities to develop new viruses, malware and scams to obtain your personal information. To prevent these types of attacks, keep your computer(s) updated with virus/malware protection. Never download anything or provide any personal information unless you are certain the website is safe. When you update your computer, be sure to have your old hard drive shredded by a secure vendor that has secure Lockdown™ technology.
- Bored Billy. Generally, the motive behind identity theft is to steal money or credit, but some thieves are looking to assume someone’s identity. This type of thief is often bored with their life and seeking the thrill of taking on someone else’s persona by gathering information from social media accounts or eavesdropping on a confidential phone conversation. Protect yourself from the terror of by securing your personal information online and offline. Do not give out personal information on the phone or through the mail, and be vigilant about sharing information when opening new accounts online.
“Just as victims can vary, so can identity thieves,” added Carnahan. “Data Privacy Day is an opportunity for consumers to empower themselves with the knowledge they need to protect their privacy and prevent identity theft.”
Cintas is the first North American AAA NAID-certified and PCI DSS compliant document management provider. It provides cost-effective document shredding, storage and imaging programs. Its services are designed to provide businesses with data privacy and security, compliance with regulatory requirements and greater control and access to information.
For more information about Cintas Document Management services, please visit www.cintas.com/documentmanagement.
About Cintas Corporation:
Headquartered in Cincinnati, Cintas Corporation provides highly specialized services to businesses of all types primarily throughout North America. Cintas designs, manufactures and implements corporate identity uniform programs, and provides entrance mats, restroom cleaning and supplies, tile and carpet cleaning, promotional products, first aid, safety, fire protection products and services and document management services for more than 1 million businesses. Cintas is a publicly held company traded over the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol CTAS and is a component of the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index.
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Jan. 25, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,627
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Jan. 25, 2015 01:45 AM EST Reads: 2,207
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial Cloud.
Jan. 25, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,431
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by mining large volumes of unstructured data, and how data tracking delivers uptime when it matters most.
Jan. 25, 2015 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,365
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,321
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP and chief architect at BSQUARE Corporation; Seth Proctor, CTO of NuoDB, Inc.; and Andris Gailitis, C...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,335
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,442
SYS-CON Events announced today that ActiveState, the leading independent Cloud Foundry and Docker-based PaaS provider, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The Company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges thro...
Jan. 24, 2015 09:00 PM EST Reads: 1,694
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Jan. 24, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,717
Dale Kim is the Director of Industry Solutions at MapR. His background includes a variety of technical and management roles at information technology companies. While his experience includes work with relational databases, much of his career pertains to non-relational data in the areas of search, content management, and NoSQL, and includes senior roles in technical marketing, sales engineering, and support engineering. Dale holds an MBA from Santa Clara University, and a BA in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley.
Jan. 24, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,872
SYS-CON Media announced that Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow, has launched a new ad campaign in Cloud Computing Journal. The ad campaign, a webcast titled 'Is Your Data Center Ready for the Application Economy?', focuses on the latest data center networking technologies, including SDN or ACI, and how customers are using SDN and ACI in their organizations to achieve business agility. The Cisco webcast is available on-demand.
Jan. 24, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,075
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He discussed opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and technical point of vie...
Jan. 24, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 2,917
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 24, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,106
Performance is the intersection of power, agility, control, and choice. If you value performance, and more specifically consistent performance, you need to look beyond simple virtualized compute. Many factors need to be considered to create a truly performant environment. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, discussed how to take advantage of a multitude of compute options and platform features to make cloud the cornerstone of your online presence.
Jan. 24, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,766
In this Women in Technology Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO at MetraTech; Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance Strategy Leader at Cisco Systems; Seema Jethani, Director of Product Management at Basho Technologies; Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell Inc.; Anne Hungate, Senior Director of Software Quality at DIRECTV, discussed what path they took to find their spot within the technology industry and how do they see opportunities for other women in their area of expertise.
Jan. 24, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 2,048
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Jan. 24, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,693
Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs) are increasing at an unprecedented rate. The threat landscape of today is drastically different than just a few years ago. Attacks are much more organized and sophisticated. They are harder to detect and even harder to anticipate. In the foreseeable future it's going to get a whole lot harder. Everything you know today will change. Keeping up with this changing landscape is already a daunting task. Your organization needs to use the latest tools, methods and expertise to guard against those threats. But will that be enough? In the foreseeable future attacks w...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,806
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,749
“The age of the Internet of Things is upon us,” stated Thomas Svensson, senior vice-president and general manager EMEA, ThingWorx, “and working with forward-thinking companies, such as Elisa, enables us to deploy our leading technology so that customers can profit from complete, end-to-end solutions.” ThingWorx, a PTC® (Nasdaq: PTC) business and Internet of Things (IoT) platform provider, announced on Monday that Elisa, Finnish provider of mobile and fixed broadband subscriptions, will deploy ThingWorx® platform technology to enable a new Elisa IoT service in Finland and Estonia.
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,378
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Jan. 24, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,840