|By Marketwired .||
|January 30, 2013 12:01 AM EST||
SAO PAULO, BRAZIL -- (Marketwire) -- 01/30/13 -- Brazil's productivity growth has stagnated, and if productivity does not improve, it will weigh on the country's economy, according to a new report by The Boston Consulting Group (BCG). The report, "Brazil: Confronting the Productivity Challenge," is being released today.
The report states that from 2004 through 2011, Brazil's most liquid publicly traded companies produced an average annual total shareholder return of 19 percent. That impressive growth came mostly from gains in revenues due to a growing Brazilian middle class and global demand for Brazilian commodities.
However, according to the report, slower credit expansion and a sluggish global economy will weaken demand, so companies operating in Brazil will have to look for value creation avenues that are less dependent on pure growth. In this context, productivity emerges as the key challenge for individual companies and for Brazil's economy as a whole.
During the past decade, Brazil's economy grew largely by adding more people to its employed population rather than by increasing the output of each worker. This approach is not sustainable, and the country will need to improve productivity significantly to meet its aspiration of growing GDP by more than 4 percent per year. The report identifies several ways in which both companies and government can address key obstacles to accelerating productivity growth.
"In order to continue its development trajectory, Brazil needs to shift focus from the demand to the supply side, in particular enhancing productivity levels. That will require improving both hard and soft infrastructure and increasing levels of investment," said Masao Ukon, a BCG partner and coauthor of the report.
The next decade in Brazil will impose new challenges but will also offer high rewards. What worked in the past may not be a recipe for the future. However, companies able to meet these challenges -- particularly by boosting their productivity -- will be better positioned to serve the sizable domestic market, take advantage of Brazil's advantaged position in natural resources, and continue to create value.
A copy of the report can be downloaded at www.bcgperspectives.com.
To arrange an interview with one of the authors, please contact Eric Gregoire at +1 617 850 3783 or [email protected].
About The Boston Consulting Group
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a global management consulting firm and the world's leading advisor on business strategy. We partner with clients from the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors in all regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their enterprises. Our customized approach combines deep insight into the dynamics of companies and markets with close collaboration at all levels of the client organization. This ensures that our clients achieve sustainable competitive advantage, build more capable organizations, and secure lasting results. Founded in 1963, BCG is a private company with 78 offices in 43 countries. For more information, please visit bcg.com.
Bcgperspectives.com is a new website -- available on PC, mobile phone, and iPad -- that features the latest thinking from BCG experts as well as from CEOs, academics, and other leaders. It covers issues at the top of senior management's agenda. It also provides unprecedented access to BCG's extensive archive of thought leadership stretching back almost 50 years to the days of Bruce Henderson, the firm's founder and one of the architects of modern management consulting. All of our content -- including videos, podcasts, commentaries, and reports -- can be accessed via PC, mobile, iPad, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
The Boston Consulting Group
Global Media Relations Manager
Tel +1 617 850 3783
Fax +1 617 850 3701
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1