|By Business Wire||
|February 13, 2013 08:04 AM EST||
A recent survey by Virgin Mobile USA1 found that 59 percent of people said that if they were going to break up with someone, they would do so just before Valentine’s Day to save money. So while many people have visions of romantic bliss when it comes to celebrating Valentine’s Day, others decide it’s the right time to move on from bad relationships. For that reason, Virgin Mobile is proclaiming Feb. 13 as “National Breakup Day” and giving people across the country the incentive to finally break free from a bad relationship.
The study also found that 42 percent of people surveyed said they have stayed in dead-end relationships because they were scared to make a change and try something new. Taking that into consideration, Virgin Mobile USA is making that decision less daunting when it comes to phone carriers. On “National Breakup Day,” Virgin Mobile USA will give customers $100 off the purchase of a new Samsung Galaxy SII 4G on a Beyond Talk no-contract plan at www.virginmobileusa.com2, making it even easier to leave their unhappy relationship with their current phone carrier and save an average of $1,000 during the next two years when compared to comparable plans from national carriers with two-year contracts.3
“We want people to understand that they don’t have to be stuck in a bad relationship,” said Ron Faris, head of brand marketing for Virgin Mobile USA. “If you’re in a tough spot, whether it’s with your significant other or your current postpaid phone carrier, why delay the inevitable? Just break free!”
Virgin Mobile USA is also teaming up with the dating site OkCupid to host a Twitter takeover chat from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. (ET) on “National Breakup Day.” Beginning from 9:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. ET. Relationship experts from OkCupid will take over the @VirginMLive Twitter handle and use the hashtag #CupidConfessions to answer questions and provide tips on how to make your online profile more desirable to meet someone new.
“We want to make sure that anyone who is single on Feb 13 has the tools to get back into the dating game,” said Christian Rudder, co-founder of OkCupid. “Our experts will be standing by to help you make a great online profile, strike up conversations, meet someone new, and forget about your previous, unsatisfying relationship.”
The “National Breakup Day” deal applies to any customer who purchases Virgin Mobile’s Samsung Galaxy S II 4G online from 7 a.m. (ET) on Feb. 13 through 7 a.m. (ET) on Feb. 14. All Virgin Mobile USA smartphones are available with unlimited data and messaging plans4 starting at $35 per month, without a contract. Research has shown that the average customer saves almost $1,000 during a two-year span on Virgin Mobile compared to typical two-year contracts with other national carriers.
About Virgin Mobile USA
Virgin Mobile USA, one of Sprint's prepaid brands, offers millions of customers control, flexibility and connectivity through Virgin Mobile's Beyond Talk™ No Contract plans with unlimited data for mobile phone service including Android-powered smartphones and prepaid Broadband2Go high-speed Web access on the Nationwide Sprint Network. Virgin Mobile offers a selection of quality handsets from Kyocera, HTC, LG, and Samsung, including the Samsung Galaxy S II 4G and Samsung Galaxy Reverb. Virgin Mobile products are generally available at more than 40,000 retail stores around the country, including Target, Walmart, Best Buy and RadioShack. Top-Up cards are available at approximately 150,000 locations nationwide and can be used for Assurance Wireless and Broadband2Go services. Experience Virgin Mobile on the Web at Facebook, Twitter, You Tube and purchase Virgin Mobile USA products at www.virginmobileusa.com
OkCupid is one of the nation’s fastest-growing and largest dating products. Known for its highly analytical matching algorithms and insightful blog, OkTrends, OkCupid uses math to get people dates. On a given day at OkCupid, more than 1 million singles login to the site, do 10 million searches, and send 2 million messages. Follow us on Twitter at @okcupid.
1 The Virgin Mobile USA survey was conducted by Wakefield Research (wakefieldresearch.com) among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults, ages 18 and older, between Jan. 30, 2013, and Feb. 5, 2013, using an email survey and an online survey.
2 Offer valid from 7 a.m. (ET) on Feb. 13 to 7 a.m. (ET) on Feb. 14.
3 Savings comparison as of 12/1/10. Based comparison between Virgin Mobile beyond talk $35/month plan comparable plans from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint. Actual savings may vary based on carrier and plan.
4 All plans include 2.5GB/month of 3G/4G full speed data or 3.5GB/month with purchase of Mobile Hotspot capable device and plan.
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1