|By YV&C News Desk||
|November 4, 2004 12:00 AM EST||
What was to have been a sanctuary where pro golfer Tiger Woods and his family could go to escape his celebrity, has become a fixture in a Florida Court, and is making headlines the world over. Woods is suing Christensen Shipyards for breaching a contract they signed with the golfer in February 2004, which forbids the Vancouver-based shipyard from disclosing his identity as the owner of a 155-foot yacht, which cost an estimated $20 million.
Woods is seeking compensatory damages totaling $50 million, which includes an amount the 28 year-old recently wed athlete estimates he is worth, as a product endorser. Christensen is accused of not only boasting about whom the yacht's owner is, but also allegedly distributing photos of the vessel, christened 'Privacy,' to magazines and other sources, and displayed them during a recent Miami boat show.
The November issue of Power & Motoryacht carried a story entitled "Shhhhh..." In it, detailed specifications are discussed about Tiger Woods' new Trideck Motor Yacht, right down to the kinds of patterns and materials selected for various furniture arrangements. The article clearly shows Tiger Woods to be the owner; although none of the sources quoted explicitly names him as the owner.
The case was filed in federal court in Miami. Woods' new bride, model Elin Nordegren, brought added heat to the legal fire, by presenting a sworn declaration. In it she explains why Woods is seeking damages, and the basis for the $50 million price tag.
"Christensen's unauthorized disclosures invade the privacy of my family and my husband and has caused us harm that cannot be fully compensated by monetary damages," Nordegren's statement reads. She says the yacht was intended as a haven to escape the unwanted spotlight Woods' celebrity status brings. "As its name implies, 'Privacy' was intended to be a private respite for our family to relax and escape the rigors of my husband's celebrity."
Woods' wife, it is revealed, was the one who discovered Christensen's blatant breach of the privacy agreement her husband signed. She plainly saw photos in Christensen's booth showing her husband and the yacht. Woods' camp construes this as unfair use and theft of service by Christensen, for using Woods' recognizable status to endorse their own product. Woods says that $50 million is what his comparable value would be, if he were endorsing something.
|Mike 02/15/08 06:35:43 PM EST|
Sure why not collect and put some fifty families out of work just to prove a point. I worked at Christensen Shipyards, and a law suit would put alot of people out of work for good.
|flog 11/05/04 02:01:37 PM EST|
After watching what Bush/Cheney/Rove shamefully did to Kerry with advertising trickery, it's a shame to have your "privacy" misused as well. Hope you collect big-time! Right on, Tiger & Elin! Go get them!
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Tango Networks to Demonstrate Its Business Mobility Solutions at the CCA Annual Convention During CTIA 2014 Super Mobility Week
- Wireless Opportunities in Healthcare (The Market for Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee, UWB WWAN, WMAN, WLAN and other technologies)
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- CEM - Customer Experience Management Market Growing at 17.3% CAGR to 2019: Forecast in New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Digital Advertising Market (Online) Growing at 11.9% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- CTIA Announces Emerging Technology, Hot for the Holidays and the MobITs Award Finalists
- Global Cyber Security Industry
- Wearable Technology Ecosystem: 2014 - 2020 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts
- Freelancer.com Fast 50 reveals a rise in data and engineering jobs as the Internet of Things takes off
- Customer Experience Management Market (VOC Analytics, Feedback Management, Web Analytics, Text Analytics, Speech Analytics) - Advanced Technologies, Touch Points, Adoption Trends, Market Size & Forecasts (2014 - 2019)
- MMA Global 2014 Smarties Shortlist Unveils The Best In Mobile Marketing From Around The Globe
- Global System-On-A-Chip Industry
- Lawful Interception Market 2014-2019 Forecasts (Network Technologies and Devices, Communication Content, End Users)
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- Virtualization Expo New York Call for Papers to Expire January 15, 2010
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Is the "Mobile Web" Already With Us ?
- Google Gang Unveils "gPhone" Platform, Android
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: "GMAIL Mobile"
- Symbian Welcomes the Availability of Nokia's N72
- Jim Liddle's Symbian Blog: Opera Releases New Wireless Development Platform
- Best-Selling Author Scott McKain Joins Ulitzer
- Symbian & Open Source: The Momentum Grows
- How To Use Social Media in Your Job Search
- Unisys: A Clear Vision for Cloud Computing
- Surface RT: even more awesome with Windows RT 8.1